The biggest right over mankind is that of Almighty Allah. Faith in and obedience to him are our first and foremost duties. After these are the responsibilities of domestic life. Fulfilment of these responsibilities by trying to correct and construct the domestic life is a social need as well as religious duty.
After this begins the family life in which parents are entitled to the highest place and foremost right. This can be substantiated by going through the following verses from the glorious Quran:
“Your Lord Allah has decreed that you worship none but HIm and that you be kind to parents whether one or both of them attain old age in your life. Say not to them a word of contempt nor repel them but adddress them in terms of honour and outof kindness lower to them the wing of humility and say”My Lord bestow on both of them Your mercy as they cherished me in my childhood. (chapter 17:verses 23-24)
If we go through these verse for the glorious Quran repeatedly and ponder over them the following points will be evident:
1. Parent’s rights are next to those of Almighty Allah in Islam. This is authenticated by the fact that, after the description of the Unity of Almighty Allah, the glorious Quran has repeatedly ordered of the most pleasant and submissive behaviour with the parents.
2. When parents become old their temperament is changed. They usually become easily irritable and short tempered due to their age. Their children should take these changes for granted and show considerable patience and magnanimity for their aging parents.
3. Parents should be respected and revered throughout all the stages of their ages alike. Particularly when they are old and become persistent,nagging,critical ect; the children should all the more be submissive and tolerant and should always keep in mind the related verses from the glorious book.
4. The children should adopt attitudes of humbleness, politeness and obedience for the parents. They should readily carry out the orders of parents and also feel comforted by doing so. In old age when parents are invalid and naturally depend upon their children, the children should serve them like an obedient servant. While doing so, instead of showing or even feeling benevolence or pity, they should rather feel exalted and thank Almighty Allah for getting the oppertunity of serving their parents in their old age.
5. We should recall those days of infancy when we were totally dependent on our parents. During that period we were weak and in need of help from the parents to servive. In those days the parents nourished us with love and affection bearing all sorts of hardships. They felt happy when we were happy and became restless when we were even slightly harmed. The children should always have these memories fresh in mind and pray to Almighty Allah to be Merciful and kind to their parents in their old age as they had been considerate and kind to them in their hour of need.
THe facts which are mentioned in the above quoted two verse from the glorious Quran are elaborated and practised upon by our Prophet (P.B.U.H).