With regard to the physical harm caused by eating pork, modern science has proved a number of things, such as the following:
- Pork is regarded as one of the kinds of meat that contain the most cholesterol, an increase of which in the bloodstream leads to an increased likelihood of blocked arteries. The fatty acids in pork are also of an unusual formation, when compared with the fatty acids in other types of food, which makes them more easily absorbed by the body, thus increasing cholesterol levels.
- Pork meat and pork fat contribute to the spread of cancers of the colon, rectum, prostate and blood.
- Pork meat and pork fat contribute to obesity and related diseases that are difficult to treat.
- Eating pork leads to scabies, allergies and stomach ulcers.
- Eating pork causes lung infections which result from tapeworms, lungworms and microbial infections of the lungs.
- The doctors have confirmed that the most serious danger of eating pork is that pork contains tapeworms. The growth of its eggs in the human body may lead to insanity and hysteria if they grow in the area of the brain. If they grow in the region of the heart, it may lead to high blood pressure and heart attacks. It may develop in the small intestine and after several months may grow into a large worm whose body is composed of a thousand segments, with a length of 4-10 meters, which lives alone in the intestine of the infected person and part of it may appear when he defecates.
- When the pig swallows and ingests its eggs, they enter the tissues and muscles in the form of larvae sacs containing fluid and the head of the tapeworm.
- When a person eats infected pork, the larva turns into a complete worm in the intestine. These worms cause weakness and vitamin B12 deficiency, which leads to a specific type of anemia, which may in turn cause nervous problems. In some cases the larvae may reach the brain, causing convulsions, increased pressure within the brain, epilepsy and even paralysis.
- Another kind of worm that is to be found in pork is the trichinosis (infestation with a hair-like nematode worm) that cannot be killed by cooking, the growth of which in the body may lead to paralysis and skin rashes. When these parasites reach the small intestine, three to five days later many larvae appear which enter the intestine and reach the blood, from which they reach most of the tissues of the body.
- The larvae move to the muscles and form cysts there, and the patient suffers intense muscle pains. The disease may develop into infection of the cerebral membrane and brain, and infections of the heart muscle, lungs, kidneys and nerves. It may be a fatal disease in rare cases.
- It is well known that there are some diseases that are unique to humans and are not shared with any other animals except pigs, such as rheumatism and joint pain.
These are some of the harmful effects of eating pork. Perhaps after studying them you will not have any doubts that it is forbidden.
But even if we did not know about the harmful effects of ea-ting pork, this would not change our belief that it is Haram in the slightest, or weaken our resolve to abstain from it.
You know that when Adam (peace be upon him) was expelled from the Garden, it was because he ate from the tree from which Allah forbade him to eat.
We do not know anything about that tree, and Adam did not need to inquire into the reason why it was forbidden to eat from it. Rather it was sufficient for him, as it is sufficient for us and for every believer, to know that Allah has forbidden it.
We hope that this will be the first step in your being guided towards the true religion. So stop, research, look and think, objectively and fairly, seeking only to find out the truth and follow it. I ask Allah to guide you to that which is best for you in this world and in the Hereafter.
[Look at some of the harmful effects of eating pork; look at the research of the Fourth Annual Conference of Islamic Medicine, Kuwait edition, p. 731 ff.; and Al-Wiqayah As-Sihhiyyah Fi Daw’ Al-Kitab Was-Sunnah by Luluah Bint Salih, p. 635 ff.]